Jeff's Life

Stuff I do... I'm interesting, I swear.

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Funny things people do with website names...

So I was looking up website names for a site idea I had. I looked up tutortv.com and it is taken (nothing is on the site yet, it's just "parked" and unused), so I did a "whois" lookup for who actually owns the domain. It is a woman who runs an upscale tutor company in ... you guessed it... NYC, called "Stanford Coaching Inc." I found an article including a reference to her $2 mil company here where she discusses how she flies her tutors all over the world for super rich families to tutor their kids while yachting around the globe, etc etc. Anyway, I couldn't find shit online about her tutoring company -- apparently she buys domain names for everything but her own company. (Her company changed names to www.inspirica.com and apparently is doing quite well!)

I googled her email address and found this site http://scaletheheights.com/
"Dear Domain Seeker, I'm a small business owner who renamed my business. I learned that the best potential trademarks seem to be made-up names. After I chose my new name I decided to register many of the other great names I came up with (listed below) If you are interested in inquiring about any of these names, please feel free to contact me."
Apparently she really DOES register every domain address! haha. what's interesting here is that you would think the tutoring business would be far more lucrative than than squatting domains and hoping someone picks a silly name and pays you for it. But then again, you can do both and the overhead is small. But just look at some of these names! They're just funny.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home