Jeff's Life

Stuff I do... I'm interesting, I swear.

Saturday, December 02, 2006

TAXES:

Oh my god, taxes suck. And no, they don't suck like "oh man, this is annoying, I have to find 2 slips of paper and give them to H&R."

They suck because I am self-employed and have a lot of extra paperwork and stuff to fill out. I also am stubborn and refuse to have to pay someone to do my taxes -- it is so beyond me how the gov't could set something up that EVERYONE has to do (including lots of stupid people) and yet makes it SOO complicated that not even I (a somewhat smart person) can figure them out. That's bullshit and it pisses me off that H$R and all those other companies even exist. Obviously that should tell the IRS something: You're f'ng system is too complicated if an ENTIRE industry has been built just to fill out your paperwork. What a waste of time and money.

So, I think I can do it all myself. I spent many hours last night going through the 150 page document that explains the 1040 and another document that explains each of the lines of the Schedule C and how to deduct business-related expenses if you're going to itemize them. What a pain in my ass. I just encountered a gem in the instruction manual:

The time needed to complete and file this form will vary depending on individual circumstances. The estimated burden for individual taxpayers filing this form is included in the estimates shown in the instructions for their individual income tax return. The estimated burden for all other taxpayers who file this form is approved under OMB control number 1545-1974 and
is shown below.
Recordkeeping ......... 1 hr. 18 min
Learning about the law or the form .............. 24 min
Preparing the form ...... 1 hr
Copying, assembling, and sending the form to the IRS ... 20 min
Seriously, there is no way "learning about the law or the form" is going to take anyone 24 minutes. IRS sucks.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home