Jeff's Life

Stuff I do... I'm interesting, I swear.

Monday, January 08, 2007

Damn what a productive day:

-I braved the crappy USPS to pick up a package they hadn't delivered properly. It seems every single person I meet behind the counter is slightly insane, a sociopath, and just the most obnoxious, rude piece of shit ever. Today's run in with the short woman behind the pick up window was no different. I walked up, passed my slip through the 72 inch thick bullet-proof glass window and gave her my ID and she immediately yelled "hold your ID." Because the woman had been consistently rude to everyone she came in contact with that day, I think she was used to saying this repeatedly so it came out sounding like "hoh-ner-eye-dee". I had to repeat after her to be sure. After finally getting the package and getting the f out of that godforsaken place, I thought: it'd be a good idea if the USPS hired some consultants to provide some insight on how they can do a better job while saving money and being more efficient. But then i realized probably the first suggestion would be to fire everyone that works there -- so I doubt consultants will be coming anytime soon.

- I picked up a bagel with lox and tomato

-I need to do a lot of printing soon and I don't trust me printer so I went to a few computer/printing places on broadway to compare prices. the most outrageous quoted me 50 cents per printed page as if that were a perfectly reasonable amount of money to pay. WTF? The bargain place costs 8 cents per page, but 25cents per minute of computer use. I'm thinking it probably makes sense just to buy a new industrial strength laser printer and call it a day.

- made photocopies of my passport, what a bargain at 11 cents per copy.

- I went to 2 magazine stores looking for the january copy of PCmagazine, which no one has yet. My article about Skype will be in it. Finally, my first clip since Journalism school!

- I called GHI to take terminate my insurance while I switch to travel insurance during my time in China. I called the regular number, hit 2, then 1 (for premiums) and promptly got A WOMAN'S ANSWERING MACHINE. This is fucking GHI we're talking about here, not 'mom and pop insurance co'. And after going through their menu it goes to an answering machine message like : you've reached samantha, i'm not in, leave a message. It was 10am so it was certainly not lunch break (yeah, I called one other time when they said NO ONE IS IN THE OFFICE between 12 and 1...wtf?). No wonder GHI and insurance companies make boatloads of money. They don't answer the fucking phone or they're off eating lunch all day. Meanwhile, I called back, talked to a real person, and found out the fax number I need to fax a letter to saying I'd like to terminate my shit. Jesus, could they make it more of a pain in the ass. Welcome to the way things were in 1978. I'm assuming they all have rotary phones and no internet access in the offices.

- Then there was radioshack -- I popped in to see how much an australia electric plug would cost... just the plug (not the converter from 240v to 110v) cost $18. what a ripoff.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home